8.25.2014

digital blog hop with hero arts & a2z scrapbooking


http://heroarts.com/blogs/club/2014/08/25/a2z-scrapbooking-digital-blog-hop/

Hey there! Today I'm honored to be participating in the Hero Arts & A2Z Scrapbooking Digital Blog Hop along with a handful of very talented designers. A2Z now offers a selection of Hero Arts digital goodies, and in the coming weeks, they will be adding even more to their collection. What better way to celebrate the new collaboration than with a blog hop with a whole host of inspiration and fun? And oh yes...a giveaway too!

Hero Arts has just released this sweet Bottle Brush digi kit and I couldn't resist using it for today's card. Check out the kit preview -- so many fun options with this one!


And here's the personalized Christmas card I came up with. The bottle brush trees bring a touch of nostalgia to an otherwise modern design. This one would be ideal for assembly line cardmaking and is also mail-friendly.


The assembly line steps:
  1. Print the main panel onto textured paper (I used watercolor paper.)
  2. Trim panel to 4 x 5.25" and adhere to a colored 4.25 x 5.5" card base.
  3. Embellish with gold stars, gold marker dots, and baker's twine.
  4. Optional: Add a photo inside. 
Simple as that!

Here's a look at how I created the trees. (I use GIMP, a free image editing program.) After opening the bottle brush tree stamp, I recolored it green using the "Colorize" feature. Then I dropped the solid circle image from the kit onto the tree, colored it white, and duplicated it several times in various sizes like so...


Once the green tree was complete, I saved it and added it to a new blank canvas three times. I recolored two of the trees -- one red, one pool. You can see in the screenshot below how I used guides to make sure everything was lined up. Once the trees were in place, I dropped in the message (recolored gray) and added "from the Hartley family" to personalize the card. The font I used for that part was F25 Executive.


At this point I merged the layers, saved the image, and printed it onto white watercolor paper. If you were mass producing the cards, you could fit four of these onto a standard piece of 8.5 x 11" cardstock.

Now about that giveaway! To add extra fun to the hop, A2Z Scrapbooking will be giving away a $50 gift certificate to one lucky commenter. Prize winners will be randomly selected from ALL comments received on the participating designers’ blogs. The more comments you leave along the hop, the better your odds of winning, so be sure to comment on every blog, starting with this one! You have until Sunday, August 31st at 11:59pm EST to leave your comments and the winner will be announced on September 3rd on the A2Z Scrapbooking blog.

To continue the hop please click over to the blog of the fabulous Kelly Latevola. If you encounter a broken link while hopping, you can always head back to the beginning for links to everyone who's participating.

Thanks so much for hopping by! Hope you have a fantastic day!

50 comments:

Barb said...

Such adorable, colorful trees, Tami! I love this festive card!

Not Just Any Bee said...

very cute! OU! I see glitter balls all over that trees future!

Kathy H said...

Thanks for the instructions Tami. I will have to give GIMP a try. Looks like you have your Christmas card done!

Tammy Mohr said...

Great 1 layer card. Love that hero arts has digital sets.

kreativekymona.com said...

Hey Tami!! Your Christmas trees are amazing! Thank you for the tutorial on how to color the images! I would taken a thin maker and traced over each branch, lol! You saved me hours of work!! Nicely done!

Ann Kulseth said...

Love the beautiful trees - can Christmas be that far away? I think not.!!!

Susan said...

Love your card with those trees! Great idea!

Miriam Prantner said...

Love this image, such a sweet CAS card!

ThePurplePlace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ThePurplePlace said...

Oops! I posted before I was done, but wanted to thank you for such a great card design and also for the fun tips you shared about how you create with these digi images.

I have never tried "Gimp", but know it's a program that is free for all and now I think i'll download it and see how it works! I currently do all my digital cards using Word and that's work well, but does have some limits

Gimp may be just what I need and I'm so happy you shared it!

Thanks Tami....Great Card!!

Shari Czerwinski said...

Love those trees!

Gail said...

Beautiful colorful trees - I have not run watercolor paper through my computer - thanks for the idea on that! I have doing watercolors lately - have a blessed day!

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

Wonderful creation with nostalgia feel to the bottle brush trees.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"

Heather Maria said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous card, Tami! The colours are so pretty and I love your design and the touches of gold! Thanks so much for the great tutorial and tips - I've learned so much from your post:)

Elizabeth Campau said...

Hi Tami,
Thank you for all of your hard work for this hop. Your card is beautiful and I so appreciate the info about GIMP. When I get caught up with getting all of the digital files into the store I will have to check it out:)

Thanks again,
Linda Crissman
a2z Scrapbooking Purchasing Director
http://a2zscrapbookingblog.com/

Sarah Gray said...

Love these bottle brush trees - thanks for the great step by step on how to create the design with the digital file!

Kailash said...

Such lovely trees. Thanks for sharing the step by step tutorial, it's really helpful!!!

Deborah said...

I love the bottle brush trees and the colors you chose for them are perfect This is a beautiful CAS card thanks

Amante del Papel said...

Fabulous card, in a great colors, thanks for showin how do you do!

Barb Ghig said...

This is such a charming card, Tami! I love the different colored trees and that you chose a gold star for each one! Very pretty!

Diana Johnson said...

Love the colored trees and the personalization!

Ashley Santiago said...

I love how this card came out. This would make things so easy for when you have to make multiple cards. Great for christmas time. Love it.

Yvonne said...

great card!

Emily Leiphart said...

Love your pretty trees and customized sentiment, Tami!

Debra said...

Love your color combinations!

Debra said...

Love your color combinations!

Barbara-Jean said...

Really have to try this out! Bottle brush always makes me smile...remember the Fuller Brush man????

AScrapOfKindness said...

Thank you for the how to on this very pretty card. I like CAS cards for the holidays, as I have to make so many.

cal8007 said...

Oh, thanks for the how-to!! I have Gimp and Photoshop Elements, but it looks like Gimp is much easier to use. Love that the images can be colorized!!

CinnamonSally said...

Great card Tami and thanks for the tutorial!!

Pat P said...

You make absolutely lovely cards!
Patpionke athotmaildotcom

pau B said...

Thanks !! very good explain tutorial!

Mary-Anne V said...

Very colourful christmas card...thanks for the detailed post.

Linda T said...

I just love the bottle brush trees. Just lovely.

Sally said...

Love your card. Cute as can be~ I don't have that gimp program though. :(

Tiziana said...

ho ho ho christmas time is arrived !! great card

T said...

Sally, just google gimp, it is readily available. Also you can do the same thing in most photo editing/graphics programs. The specifics just change a bit.

This how fun it would be to fille a couple of the circles with mini photos.

Sue McRae said...

The bottle brush tree is so fun! Love the dots that you added!

Lindsey said...

I love this with the three trees! A modern graphic design.

Denise Gutshall said...

Lovely card and thanks for the tutorial.

Ruby N said...

this is cute!

Karen L K said...

Nice card. Thanks for the instructions. I would not know how to do that otherwise.

joy said...

Wonderful Christmas card, Tami! I have never done anything digital; thanks for the how-to!

paperpicnic said...

Oh, I love this holiday card, Tami! It's perfect! Such a fun and colorful design! Thanks for sharing!

Carol McCready said...

Great tutorial and card. Thank you for sharing.

Andrea D. La Vigne said...

What an awesome card! And thanks so much for the how-to steps. It's great to know that the Hero Arts digi elements can be recolored so easily. Wonderful card & tutorial!

Jen said...

I LOVE bottle brush trees, and this card is SO dang cute!!! Seriously adorable!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love your trio of bottle brush trees, Tami! The effect of the multiple circles of varying sizes really made the trees special!!

Freelance Jobs From Home said...

Love the way you organize all this stuff .... Looking Amazing.... Great Color Perfection.

I Am jimmy said...

Cute Trees and Great Designss.... AWESOME..... Thanks For sharing..